Saturday, March 9, 2013

Look mom, we're playing with mud!

 Today was a short day, in comparison to the past days. Today we went to three main places, a beauty product production plant and store, Masada, and the Dead Sea.

Let me start off by saying, it was not my idea to go to Ahava, a place where they sell refined Dead Sea mud for cosmetic purposes. I went there because that is just where the tour led us. However, I did pick up something for the two amazing secretaries back home. You've got some real good hand moisturizing mud coming your way!

Next, we visited Masada. Let me explain Masada by way of a short history lesson. Masada is a large fortified city built on the top of a butte right next to the Dead Sea. Herod the Great, who was paranoid that the people would revolt against him, built it in order that he might have a place to escape to. It had recreation areas, a large cistern to catch water, a pool and bath-house, a huge food storage area - you name it, he had it - expect for a plasma screen TV (come on, it was the 1st century BC).


Well, his paranoid expectations never came to fruition. Instead, he simply died and never used Masada. But around 66 AD, when Zealot Jews revolted, their last stand was made here at Masada. Think of it like the Alamo. Well, the Romans laid siege for around three years and after building a wall and camps around the base, building a giant ramp up to the city walls, and also using siege towers, they broke through the gates. After breaking through, they decided to to get some sleep before invading the fortress and punishing the Jews within.

That night, the leader of the revolt, rallied the men and decided on a course of action. They saw only two choices, die or be made into slaves, with the women and children being abused and maltreated. So instead of slavery, they chose suicide. Everyone was killed except for a few women and children.



After this revolt, Masada was used for a short while by some Byzantine monks.

The site is presented as the place of a courageous final stand. I would agree to a certain extent. Yes they were courageous in defying the Romans and fighting back to retain their religious freedom. But I disagree with their final course of action. I would say there were three choices - slavery, death by self-inflicted wounds, and die in a final charge against the Romans.

Now while I was not presented with the same predicament as these people, I, as a Catholic believe that suicide is not an option. Rather, like William Wallace on Braveheart  I would hope that  I would say, "They can take my life, but they can never take my freedom."

OK. After that long rant we need something a bit more fun and that is exactly what you are going to get. Once we descended Masada, we ate some food at the mini food court below and made our way to a beach on the Dead Sea.

Here we had some real fun. Not only did we swim and sit in an sea that you can't help but float in but we also smeared ourselves in mud. Yes, you read correctly, we smeared mud all over our bodies. You don't believe me? Look below and see for yourself.

My ohhh my that mud felt good on my skin. Can you recognize me? 

Some others on the beach enjoying themselves .



OK, yes the mud has rejuvenating effects and is good for you. But I know that my mom would not have approved of this. And mom, if you are reading this, don't worry, this stuff really is good for you. I wouldn't lie (especially not now that I am a priest).

Once all this was done, we made our way back to Jerusalem to take a shower, to clean the mud out of my ears (that was really stupid of me), and to get some rest.

Tomorrow is will entail an optional tour to Yad Vashem, the Holocaust museum, The Israeli museum - place where some of the dead sea scrolls are kept, as well as a visit to the Samaritan motel.

1 comment:

  1. Ian really enjoying the posts; you're doing a great job! The dogs are happy black hills pups now :-)
    Fr. Michael

    ReplyDelete

If you are going to make a comment, be respectful.